Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I can't remember any book that made me laugh...most of the books I read are rather sci-fi or those that touches the heart...

The book closest to this week's topic on Girl's Talk --- books that made me laugh --- which I have read because of some influences by M is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

The story is about an Andalucian shepherd boy named Santiago who, because of a recurring dream, which eventually made him believe that it was some kind of prophecy, ventured to Egypt's pyramids in search of treasures. In his search, he met a gypsy woman, a king and the alchemist, all of whom played important roles in his quest. He came across various experiences such us love and danger, opportunities and disasters only to find out that the treasure he is in search of elsewhere is beyond material possessions. The real treasure is the one he has found in his heart.

The core belief being shared by the book is that 'when you believe in something, all that happens in your surroundings leads to achieving it.'

As Yedi'ot Aharonat quoted "This is the type of book the makes you understand more about yourself and about life. It has philosophy, and is spiced with colors, flavors and subjects..."

--- the realization which I ended with a huge smile on my face :)

happy reading...


4 comments:

  1. Awww... I've read this book. It really is a very good read. Very inspiring.. with a wee bit of humor. It didn't make me laugh.. but it did make me smile. =)

    Happy GT Thursday!

    Do come by my blog and read mine. Thanks. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i read this, i fell in love with paulo coelho and have been a big fan ever since.

    This is indeed a good read ;)

    Here's my entry at GT, hope you'd visit too:
    http://ddarlys26.blogspot.com/2010/10/gt-laugh-out-loud-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. i heard a lot about Paulo Coelho. he really is one great writer..

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is the first book of coelho that i read, and the one who suffered the wrath of my highlighter pen the most. LOL. it has so many good quotes!

    sorry for the late visit! (bad host. LOL) thanks for joining GT!

    ReplyDelete